Friday 28 February 2014

Inspired children

 
Join me on Facebook :) 

Inspired by the Inspired

It was the first day of the half term break and my daughter crept into my bed for a snuggle while the boys were happily tipping soft toys out of the bucket in their room. I love mornings like that: my husband had already left for work, the children were all feeling the chilled out vibe of no commands to "Get dressed", "Eat your breakfast" or "Clean your teeth." There was some animated nonsense on the TV and I was catching up with the very important things that might have happened in Facebookland since I last checked about eight hours earlier!

As she glanced at my phone, my daughter gasped, "Wow, what was that, Mummy?" as she scrolled back up the newsfeed. She'd seen an image from Caroline Rose Art - one of the many pages that sprinkle beauty onto my screen - and she wanted more. There it was, instantly recognisable as a 'this is my thing and I want more of it' moment, and at just six years of age. We spent a few minutes looking through the photos on Caroline's page and chatting about her work. I explained all about collages and that we were looking at beautiful scenes made from lots of small pieces of paper. She was most smitten by this amazing street scene:

Street scene collage by Caroline Rose Art

Our leisurely breakfast was peppered with questions about types and colours of paper, how to cut fancy edges, whether to use a glue stick or gloopy glue and if you can eat spiders and slugs. Happy half term! Then, almost immediately the last Cheerio was swallowed, a miracle happened: my daughter cleared the table of all pots, all ... by ... herself! And of she scurried to the paper drawer and my pencil case for scissors.

It began ...

... and it continued ...
 ... and then it was finished ...



... and boy, was she delighted!

She was so very, very proud of her work in this beautiful new medium that she wanted to write to Caroline Rose to tell her all about her exciting paper adventure! The wonderful Caroline was very obliging and gave me her address, and off we trotted to the postbox. Roughly one gazillion times a day for the next five days, my girl asked me if the postman had been/was going to come/would come again today!

Caroline and I exchanged a few messages, and I have to tell you that she is a lovely, kind-hearted lady. She knows what it is to capture the creativity of a small person and to run with it, to encourage it and to reward it in a way that will make it grow.  She wrote back to Beatrix, using an actual pen and actual paper, and sent a very special parcel in the post. 

That evening Beatrix read the letter from Caroline Rose over and over again, and I watched as my little girl had found something new outside of everything she had known before: she was inspired. She hadn't been instructed or directed, nobody had suggested that she 'might like to' create something. She had seen something, it had moved her, she had an idea and she went to make it happen for herself. Then she shared her work with someone else, a stranger, and got really lovely feedback, something it took me over thirty years to manage. She is on Cloud 9! Her beautiful gift, however, is not even on the wall yet; we're looking for a pink frame! 


 You can find Caroline Rose Art on Facebook and buy her utterly beautiful work on Etsy and on Folksy.

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful, thanks for sharing this story : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I just love to hear stories like this and what a beautiful piece of art your daughter has created. I see an artistic future ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, thank you, Kate! She is so proud of it, it's lovely to see :)

      Delete
  3. very clever little girl better than I would have done but then she has you as a inspiration. I think you should buy her an empty pack of birthday cards and get her to make every ones card who has a birthday coming up I think all your family and friends would love to receive a personnel card from such a up and coming young artist . Shame my birthday has just passed as I could have requested one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bess you, Lynne :) I'll put a special word in for you in time for the weekend! xx

      Delete
  4. As a mum of a 6 year old and 4 year old, that has made me well up. How wonderful to witness this moment of inspiration for your daughter, and how lovely of Caroline to take the time to encourage it. A small moment in time; but such a positive learning experience. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how these small moments can be so poignant? xx

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love this story! I agree with your daughter - Caroline's work is simply gorgeous - but she did a great piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet story. I love Caroline's colors too. Thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic to hear of an artist's inspiration! What a brilliant daughter you have.

    ReplyDelete